You can also fund raiser for Austin Pets Alive through Team Spiridon when running in the Austin Marathon! Simply go to Active.com and sign up a fund raising page to encourage supporters for your run.
Not training for the Austin Marathon but want to train for a run? You can join Team Spiridon’s the Team Spiridon Upstarts Running Group for Beginner and Returning Runners. They will start up on Wednesday, January 19, 2011. Here’s your easy, bulletized points of interest:
- The 12-week program will accommodate For Real, Absolute Beginner runners, people who can already run a little bit, or runners who are getting back into the swing of running.
- The program will aim at having you ready for the Capitol 10K on March 27, as well as various 5K races before and after that. If there is enough interest, a program to train people for the April 17 Zooma Women’s Half Marathon might be introduced.
- Two structured, supported workouts a week – the Wednesday quality workout, and, beginning in February, a Saturday morning long run.
- Core training following each workout.
- The group will usually meet at Whole Foods on Sixth and Lamar, but some of the initial workouts may be at the Austin High School track, Zilker Park, or other Central Austin locations.
- You’ll get a free technical t-shirt with Team Spiridon’s snazzy logo.
- The cost – a very low $100. $80 for returning Spiridoners, APA staff or volunteers, or for anyone that brings in other (paying) runners.
Why so cheap? Because we’re a non-profit, and we’ll be asking you to do some fundraising for our own “pet cause” – supporting local animal welfare organizations like Austin Pets Alive!, the Austin Humane Society, and Emancipet. We’ll give you the means to post a website where your friends and family can make secure donations online.