Bastrop evacuations

by austinpetsalive • Posted in: Adoptions, Awareness/ PR

One of the first dogs coming off of a van.

Update 9/5 10pm: We adopted out about 90 dogs and cats today!  We are extending our special fee-waived event throughout tomorrow, to make room for more pets that we anticipate.

Wow, what a night.  We received a call around 9pm that the fires were getting close to the Bastrop Animal Shelter and the animals needed to be evacuated.

We put out a notice on Facebook and our building became packed with people wanting to help out.  By midnight, we’d sent all of the existing pets in our building to foster homes for the night, so that we could open up space for the new animals arriving.  See photos.

It turns out that we only took dogs from Bastrop.  We believe that the Austin Humane Society took all of the cats.  At around 3am, all of the dogs had arrived, had been vaccinated, and were being put to bed.

We are waiving all adoption fees tomorrow with the hopes of the community coming out to give great homes to these pets, and help us with overcrowding at our building.  We’ll be open from 11-7 tomorrow and will have pets at our building and all of our usual dog and cat adoption sites.

We’ve seen lots of dogs with medical issues and are asking for donations to help us pay for those costs.

Thank you to our generous community for pitching in to save these animals!

We’ll be posting often today on facebook and twitter, but will get big notices up on our main website.

58 Responses to "Bastrop evacuations"

1. Evansays: September 5, 2011 at 7:37 am

We are looking for our dogs from bastrop pookie is adalmation female an mj is a pug.pls let me know if you have them

2. Val Thomsensays: September 5, 2011 at 8:48 am

You guys ROCK!! Donation will be sent on payday. We live in NE Texas but will become a regular supporter and will visit when in the area. Thanks for doing such a great job last night!

3. coreysays: September 5, 2011 at 8:55 am

So are yall adopting today september 5th or tomorrow on the 6th?

4. Kathrynsays: September 5, 2011 at 11:51 am

Hello. I own a dog / cat boarding buiness in Brenham. If anyone needs assistance give Kathryn a call at 979-661-0840.

5. Stacie Munsingersays: September 5, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I have 1 ac. land and its not fenced but Its yours if you need it. I can feed what ever and do what ever is needed. I have three dogs. and can take any if you need me to. 512-876-9246.
    Here to help

6. Dana Striplingsays: September 5, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Our longtime friends in Bastrop area (Paige, TX) lost everything and are grieving that their dog ran off in the chaos of the fires before they could get the family out. A red hound named “Zack” or “Sack” (our friend has a thick accent). The dog is micro-chipped but the contact number is to the house phone which is now just ashes. Is there anyway to track their family hound?

Below is the email from our friend with updates. Geno is driving the area now looking for his hound.

Thank you!

Dana Stripling
    M: 512-470-1701

Begin forwarded message:

From: email hidden; JavaScript is required
    Date: September 5, 2011 11:29:06 AM CDT
    To: email hidden; JavaScript is required
    Subject: Re: so far

Geno’s dog is a red hound (shorthaired) about 60 lbs named Zack (or maybe Sack??? sounds like Sack when G says it). The dog has a chip but the phone number was probably the house phone which is no longer operable, of course. [He got back in and there’s nothing there except charred stuff … and he’s insisting he’s going to camp there asap! says he and I are both loners and are uncomfortable staying with someone else.]

So in case you’ve lost it, G’s cellphone is 581-8134. If someone picked up the dog, let us know. He’s found nothing out there so far but is going to drive around & look for him.

7. Karen Blizzardsays: September 5, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Last night we kept Seamus, one of APA’s dogs, to make room for the Bastrop dogs. … Oh my goodness, what a sweet boy!! We would adopt him if we didn’t already have two dogs!! He is smart, sweet, deferred to our two older dogs, walked/ran on-leash well with the other dogs, is playful, and a good sleeper at night. He is also fun to play fetch with! You really couldn’t ask for a better dog!! We wish him all the best and hope he finds his “forever family” soon. Here is the link to his info; he is #12044848:

8. suzanne siemssays: September 5, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I can’t adopt permanent at this time, but could foster for a short time if you need it.

9. austinpetsalivesays: September 5, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Sorry for the confusion, that blog post was written around 4am. We are adopting today and are waiving adoption fees today. Tomorrow we’ll be adopting too, but we don’t know yet if that will be a no-fee event.

10. austinpetsalivesays: September 5, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Thank you, Suzanne! We’re hoping that the community will come out and adopt today, to relieve the overcrowding at our building. If we still have too many dogs at the end of the day, we’ll put out another plea for fosters.

11. Suzanne Konemansays: September 5, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I live Austin NW. I can foster one to two small dogs. (I have one small dog in my house.) Will any of these animals be moved to the north Austin location?

12. Nancy Kimbrosays: September 5, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Our kennel has taken in three dogs as a result of the fires and are ready to take more if there is a need. Just let me know.

Agape Acres

13. Elizabethsays: September 5, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Evan! There was a dalmation at the shelter by the name of Delilah. Im not sure if you seen her. YOU just never know if names get switched up.

14. Elizabethsays: September 5, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Im actually in the process of adopting Mr.Leo. Im setting up a meet and greet with the foster parent :O)

15. austinpetsalivesays: September 5, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Actually, Delilah has been in our program for months. I’m sorry that this is not a match.

16. cindysays: September 5, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I live in Bastrop, and was out of town when the evacuations started. I have kennels of Chihuahuas and Beagle, and lots of puppies. Was not able to get in and get anything. Please let me know if you give me any information regarding these dogs and puppies. So saddened by this horrible fire.

17. jenellasays: September 5, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I am off work at 1800 and am willing to help walk, feed whatever you need. Pls hit me up if I can help. 512-297-4086

18. austinpetsalivesays: September 5, 2011 at 5:17 pm

We’ve heard that Erica with the Bastrop Animal Shelter is starting a lost and found registry and is asking people to call her with information about lost pets: 512-629-3159. I’m so sorry to hear about what you and your pets are going through right now.

19. Nadinesays: September 5, 2011 at 5:22 pm

I have a limited amount of room for oddball pets. I.E. pet snakes, and other reptiles, fish(freshwater only), birds(from parakeets to small parrots), rabbits/guinea pigs, assorted poultry. I have about 15+ tanks that range in size from 10gal to 75. Also have 3 empty brid cages, and about 9 small kennels that would hold rabbits or other small animals. I have chicken coops, and small poultry pens. Email me if you need a temp home email hidden; JavaScript is required.

20. Nancy Goschasays: September 5, 2011 at 7:40 pm

I can take a few small dogs. I have a small backyard, accessible by a doggie door. Sorry, no cats. My dog will not do well with cats. Let me know if I can help

21. Courtneysays: September 5, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Hello! I’m in the Veterinary Assistant program at A.C.C.–I am certified in pet CPR/First Aid and have a pet-sitting business. I have class at the Humane Society in Austin from 4-6 tomorrow, and live in Wimberley. If I can be of assistance/help, or can give any contact info. or messages to my professors and classmates, please let me know–we would love to help in any way!
    Courtney-(512) 517-4814

22. Jessicasays: September 5, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Please let us know if there will be another day with waived adoption fees. We wanted to come today but were close to the fires ourselves and were making plans to evac if necessary. However, we discussed it through out the day and decided that another addition to our fur family would be great. We would love to rescue a dog.

Thank you!

23. austinpetsalivesays: September 5, 2011 at 10:12 pm

We’ve extended the fee-waiving through tomorrow!

24. Carolynsays: September 5, 2011 at 10:17 pm

is there further need for foster homes?

25. Debysays: September 5, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Please let me know if I can me of help. I love animals and am free from work all this week. I can help walk, feed…

26. Andriasays: September 5, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Hi Courtney, there is a Vet in Bastrop trying to do triage out in the fields for the Bastrop animals and she is in desperate need of help. She needs vet or medical people to help her, bandages, meds… whatever she can get. Please contact Christy at 512-796-0327.

27. Carla Greenwoodsays: September 6, 2011 at 6:30 am

We love dogs and would be happy to foster one or two for a displaced family from the fires. Our vet can vouch for us as being experienced/great pet owners. We live in Central Austin.
    Carla Greenwood

28. Nicholesays: September 6, 2011 at 9:53 am

Cindy, did you find anything out about your dogs? If anyone needs a foster, or a place to keep your dogs temporarily I have a home in southwest Austin and am willing to help.

29. kelly Jernigansays: September 6, 2011 at 10:10 am

I live in New Braunfels. I can help with a temporary foster home for fire evacuees. I have a friendly yellow lab and a cat. Let me know if I can help. 830-629-9088

30. Jessica MacKaysays: September 6, 2011 at 11:14 am

I live in Austin, I can help with temporary foster care for evacuees as well. I have three cats and one Chihuahua mix sweet doggie. My cell is 512-569-2107.

31. Tamisays: September 6, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Are you still in need of foster homes?

32. Dawn Hyattsays: September 6, 2011 at 1:02 pm

We can temporarily foster. We are in Pflugerville.

33. Debbiesays: September 6, 2011 at 1:41 pm

We love dogs and have two goofy labs. We would be happy to foster a dog for a displaced family from the fires. We live in Oak Hill (Southwest Austin).

34. Andrea Elamsays: September 6, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I live in Circle C, in Southwest Austin. Willing to watch small dogs, and even cats. We have 2 dogs and 2 cats. If you have any questions at all, feel free to give me a call at 512-771-0968. We’ve lived in this home for over 4 years, and have a great vet office to vouch for the type of care I give my animals.

35. Kristensays: September 6, 2011 at 3:48 pm

We’d be happy to foster a dog while their owners are taking shelter

36. berit masonsays: September 6, 2011 at 4:50 pm

PLS. CALL OUR NEWSROOM AT 210. 736. 9731 THANKS!

37. susan aguaissays: September 6, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I have a home in Round Rock and can temp foster up to two dogs if you need help. Left a message at your office as well. Home phone 512-341-7397 please leave message.

38. Jessie Nickellsays: September 6, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I would also be more than happy to foster a displaced pet!! I am in north central Austin. I have a Boston Terrier that would love a playmate for a while!!!

39. Marisel Saucedosays: September 6, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Hi, I would love to temporarily foster an evacuee dog, I have one of my own, a mini-schnauzer. I live in south Austin with a decent back yard. Let me know if you need any more help!!!

40. eva van dykesays: September 7, 2011 at 2:58 am

i would be happy to take in some chickens (with coop, unfortunately i don’t have one) or small caged animals (guinea pigs, rabbits…) until their owners can come get them. we live in north austin.

41. Judy Alvarezsays: September 7, 2011 at 7:15 am

Would be happy to temporarily foster several dogs for a displaced family from the fires. I live in N. San Antonio with a large fenced yard but would keep them inside for safety. Vets and neighbors can vouch for my being a loving and responsible pet person. 210-481-1950

42. Megansays: September 7, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I’m confused. Are you taking animals in that belonged to people who lost them in the fire, and then adopting then out to other people? Are you giving people any time to look for their own pets before adopting them out?

43. Megansays: September 7, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Never mind, I just re-read the post and you’re referring to dogs rescued from a shelter. Sorry about that. :)

44. Catherinesays: September 7, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I can foster small dogs, I have two friendly dogs and we’d be willing to help a family in need.

45. lynnette coopersays: September 7, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Can take 1 to 2 dogs, good back yard, southaustin

46. Jordan Kimeysays: September 8, 2011 at 12:28 am

Where do we look for dogs lost in the fire. We were not allowed into our neighborhood when it was in the process of being evacuated. Our dog “Bonnie” the Austrailian Shepard/Lab Mix was still at home. Any info would be appreciated. Any photos we had of her burned down with our house. Thank you.

47. lisa mestersays: September 8, 2011 at 2:35 pm

My brother had a partial stroke during the evacuation. His wife was able to get all but 1 dog. The flames were literally burning the house while they left. His dog, “Bob”, is an OBESE, 6 year old neutered lab. He is very light yellow (almost white). He was on the porch on Travis Road. He would’nt load and was too heavy to lift. The Austin Humane Society has him on their list. Is there anywhere else I should be looking?

48. Maureensays: September 8, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Jordan: Did you get any responses? Did you call 961-6433? They are taking information from people looking for their pets since the fire. My heart goes out to you.

49. David Meschisays: September 9, 2011 at 9:12 am

I live in Brenham on 25 acres and can shelter several horses for someone in need. We can also shelter 2-3 dogs. Contact me at 979=277-2171 (cell)….if we can help you….

50. Sharonsays: September 9, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Do you need help transporting animals, searching for them, transporting owners looking for their pets. I would be glad to help just let me know. I have been in this situation years ago and know first hand the need for help.