A Home for Jessica

by Hilary Bentley • Posted in: Pets Needing Homes

We would like to introduce you to one of the sweetest, gentlest, most affectionate and low maintenance dogs in our program…a beautiful girl named Jessica.  Jessica has been with APA! for more months than you can count on two hands.

Often times when a dog this amazing becomes a long stay, we wonder how such a thing is possible.  Jessica does not have extraordinary medical or behavioral needs.  There’s no valid reason for her not to be curled up on the couch with a human who loves her in a home of her very own.

When you come up to her pen or her indoor “condo” window, Jessica never barks or whines or jumps up for attention.  She quietly gets up and looks at you intently with a face shining with hope.  Surrounded by a shelter full of dogs who are less subtle in their desire to interact with you, Jessica often gets passed by.

But this girl with the penchant for squeaky toys and the perpetually hopeful face has a lot of love to give to someone.  She just needs you to notice her.  To fall in love.  And to take her home.  Jessica is great with people of all shapes and sizes, kids included.  She does well with other dogs who are on her wavelength too.  She’s really not picky as long as she gets a soft bed and the chance to be somebody’s dog.

Um, and she wouldn’t mind if that person of hers kept her supplied in toys.  She may be an older gal but Jessica still loves to play and trot around with things that go squeak.  Despite the tough road she travelled before coming to APA! and the length of time she’s waited for a home of her own, Jessica’s sweet silliness and playful spirit remain intact.  She’s always happy to see you and excited for whatever it is you have planned, even if it’s just cuddling up for some down time.

If you’re looking to adopt, please consider coming to meet Jessica.  We know she’ll steal your heart.  All she needs is a chance.

Email email hidden; JavaScript is required for more info or visit our website to see where you can meet this sweet girl each day!  You can also follow Jessica and the other Louie’s Fresh Start dogs on facebook!

Photos by Summer Huggins

8 Responses to "A Home for Jessica"

1. Danielsays: December 7, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Is Jessica good with cats?

If I wanted to come see her Saturday where might she be?

2. melissasays: December 8, 2011 at 10:36 am

Thanks so much for your interest in Jessica, Daniel! You can email email hidden; JavaScript is required for more information about her and whether or not she’s good with cats, and check this website to find out her daily location (updated every morning): http://www.austinpetsalive.org/events/daily-dog-locations/.

3. Melaniesays: December 8, 2011 at 10:47 am

did Jessica get a forever home yet, ,I hope I hope I hope! Best, Melanie Guthrie

4. melissasays: December 8, 2011 at 10:54 am

She is still looking for her forever home, Melanie. Tell your friends about her!

5. Elenasays: December 9, 2011 at 1:52 am

Oh, what the nice Jessia. I hope she will find warm loving heart. Here at Russia we have many dogs without home. 3 month ago I give 5-month boy half of German shepherd from a shelter for homeless animals. His name is Richard. I am very happy and I hope that he too… I wish lucky for Jessia!

6. Russell Waughsays: December 10, 2011 at 11:57 pm

I met Jessica today and I have to say that she lives up to the hype . From my own experience and observing her behavior, this is my evaluation . Jessica is such a calm and relaxed dog when you greet her and she warms up to you pretty quickly . I watched her run and play in the obstacle area and she was like watching a little kid showing off for her parents . Although she has a few years on her you wouldn’t know it watching her run and play or watch how happy she gets when she hears a squeaky toy . You can see and feel her disappointment when she has to go back to her cage or when people walk away from her only to go and see a different dog . It is my opinion that she is the most perfect balance of anything you would want in a pet . She would be a great dog for a laid back family or person who want s to be active and be outdoors . I am not a shelter worker writing a story I am someone who went to the shelter today to visit another great dog named Blue . I arrived there as someone was in the process of Blues adoption . CONGRATULATIONS BLUE !!! Jessica was right next to Blue so I am sure it was another sad day for Jessica . I definately think I will have to go and visit her and I hope this encourages the rest of you as well .

7. Reginasays: December 11, 2011 at 9:54 am

We think Jessica would be a great addition to our large pack of 8, she seems to have the right personality, to fit in our doggie-family. If she hasn`t found a home yet, we`d like to come and meet her . We`ve got 10 acres with farm animals, and 8 other dogs and also cats that she can be a nanny for :-), not that they think they need a nanny.

8. jessicasays: December 14, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Filled out a foster application this afternoon after seeing her :)
    Adopted a black female staffordshire pitbull from tlac in october and she needs a friend.
    Hope jessica finds a good home or atleast hope she can come to ours! She’ll have so much room to play all day long!