We’re so excited about a new program, Owner-Surrender Outreach, we started last week after the No Kill plan passed.
Our volunteers are calling owners who surrendered pets to TLAC, who are now on the euthanasia list and no group is able to rescue them.
Of the people we’ve reached, almost all of them have come back to TLAC to reclaim their pets.
We’re finding that many people who surrender their pets believe their pets are going to get adopted by someone else, even if they are told that 1 in 3 will not be.
In speaking with these people, many were dealing with problems and just needed a little help. Currently we’re directing people to community resources, but we’re also building up our program so that there will be even more resources (free or low-cost) in the future that we can offer.
This program is the newest in our line of programs strategically aimed at helping the pets with the greatest risk of being killed. Other programs include:
- Euthanasia List Rescue – Every night, right before TLAC closes, we receive the list of who will be euthanized the following morning. We pull as many pets as possible into our foster/adoption program who have been placed on that list. We’ve saved almost 3,000 pets from imminent euthanasia in less than two years, including:
- Every puppy since 10/08.
- Every small dog since 11/09.
- Bottle Baby Program – Our Bottle Baby Trailer and feeding/foster program is aiming to save every kitten this year.
- Healthy Dogs, Healthy People Program and Behavior/Enrichment Team provide training, exercise, and enrichment for our high energy dogs, long-stay dogs, and dogs who need some training.
- Positive Alternatives to Shelter Surrender (PASS) Program – We provide counseling, advice, and help people get resources, who are at risk of surrendering their pet to the shelter.
As you can see, different programs are needed to help the different populations of pets. We plan to continue growing and adding new programs until all healthy and treatable pets are leaving our shelter alive and going into good homes.