Follow us on Facebook for the most up-to-date information. We are open regular business hours for adoptions.
Saturday, October 31
Happy Halloween!!! Thanks to our AMAZING volunteers and staff, all dogs were evacuated to flood free areas and 42 went on a sleepover last night!
The water crested at the shelter around 4 am during the Friday night storms, but the few dogs still in their kennels were quickly moved to safety by our overnight staff and volunteers. All animals are safe and sound!
Now that the storms are over we are beginning the clean-up process. We are in need of the following items:
- Leashes for large dogs *no flexie leads please! (We don’t have a single leash left.)
- Bleach and lots of it!
- Laundry detergent
- Plastic trash bags – lawn size
- Paper towels
- Dog crates for 50-75# dogs
Alternatively, you can help from afar:
Thank you for all of your support, Austin!
Friday, October 30, 2:40 pm
We had to evacuate dogs from two of the three kennel areas, and if it begins to rain again, we will potentially have to evacuate the third kennel area also.
Here’s how you can help!
- WE NEED ANIMAL-FREE HOMES FOR SLEEPOVERS! Otherwise, dogs will be sleeping in crates in the Davenport Bldg. tonight. If you have had at least one dog mentor session, come to TLAC and take a dog on a sleepover. Existing volunteers who have not had a mentor session but have an animal-free home can also do a sleepover.
- As we are moving everyone around we are creating a ton of laundry! Stop by and grab an already-bagged load and wash it at home! Bags will be either along the Airstream or in front of Davenport (Bldg. A). If you take laundry home, please add 1/2 cup of bleach to the load.
- We need trained dog walkers to come and take the dogs out for walks. They all went straight from their kennels to Davenport.
- If you have not had a mentor session, come help clean. The facility is a mess so dress appropriately. Also, if you can bring gloves, trash bags, paper towels, etc. that will be a big help.
Thanks for all your help!
Friday, October 30, 1:35 pm
Due to the flooding event today, we are closed to the public. We are not in need of emergency fosters at this time. The kennels and some of our buildings have flooded. We have moved dogs to offices and dry areas to keep them safe. We will need help cleaning in the coming days but please DO NOT attempt to come to the shelter at this time as it is unsafe due to road & weather conditions.
Lots of people are asking how they can help! Here are some suggestions:
- Become an APA! Foster (note that short-term fosters are NOT needed right now)
- Adopt this Weekend
- Sign Up to be a Regular Volunteer
Thank you for all of your support!