The next meeting of the Animal Advisory Commission will be tonight at Townlake Animal Center (PLEASE NOTE THIS LOCATION—PAST MEETINGS HAVE BEEN AT ANOTHER LOCATION) The meeting begins at 6:30 p.m.
Place: Town Lake Animal Center–December 14
Address: 1156 West Cesar Chavez Austin, TX 78702
The topic for this meeting is Increasing Capacity for Adoption:
- making more animals ready for adoption (Even if we brought in more adopters, TLAC doesn’t currently have the resources to make more pets ready for adoption)
- behavioral (TLAC does not have a behaviorist; Behavior evals, which are the basis for life and death decisions, are done by vet techs; There are not resources to help with behavior problems)
- empty kennel usage (Pets are euthanized even when cages are empty),
- Davenport building use after shelter move (We want to ensure that the Davenport building is used for adoptions when the shelter moves to east Austin, as was promised as part of the resolution directing the move),
- increased public awareness.
Last week the AAC heard a proposal from Dr. Jefferson regarding off site adoptions. More specifically, Dr. Jefferson provided the City a proposal to set up 4 dog and 4 cat adoption sites for TLAC animals. The AAC voted to direct Dr. Jefferson to meet with Asst. Director Dorinda Pulliam to finalize a proposal for the Implementation Plan to be presented to City Council.