About the parvo puppy ICU
The first of its kind in the nation, Austin Pets Alive!’s Parvo Puppy ICU provides shelters an alternative to euthanasia for puppies that contract parvovirus.
By placing puppies that contract parvo in quarantine, maintaining cross-contamination protocol and providing consistent care and treatment to puppies that have contracted parvovirus, this ICU saves a highly adoptable segment of the euthanasia list: puppies!
- In 2011, the Parvo Puppy ICU treated 256 dogs with an 88% survival (typical survival rates fall between 75 and 80%)
- In 2012, the Parvo Puppy ICU saved 401 dogs suffering from parvo
- Since opening, the Puppy Parvo ICU has pulled more than 1,300 dogs from the euthanasia list
- The programs and protocols instituted in this clinic allow the team to treat parvovirus at 1/10 the cost of a regular clinic
- 100% of the puppies that exit the Parvo Puppy ICU are adopted
What is parvovirus? Find out now.
For updates on the ICU and for more photos, like APA! Parvo Puppy ICU on Facebook!