APA! Behavior Support
If you are an adopter of an Austin Pets Alive! animal and are experiencing issues in the home that might prevent a successful long-term adoption, please contact our behavior team.
Find out more about our Dog Behavior team and their life saving programs now!
Other Dog Training
- Free/Low Cost Training: The Schrodi Memorial Training Fund was created to help owners who can’t afford top dollar training, be able to train and keep their dogs.
- Free/Low Cost Training: Hearts and Paws has a free Home Manners Class to help manage and eliminate common dog behavior problems.
- PetSmart training classes are structured by different ages and skill levels, so the class you choose will fit both your needs and your dog’s developmental stage.
- The Center for Canine Training and Behavior
- Steve DeBono, CPDT-KA
Feral Cats and Kittens
The Austin Humane Society has a fabulous TNR (Trap, Neuter, Return) program for feral cats.
Other groups in Austin that provide assistance with feral cats:
There is also a feral cat food bank of Austin, if you need help providing food.
Information on socializing feral kittens:
If you are interested in fostering any unweaned kittens you find, check out our “Found Baby Kittens” page.
Find a home for your pet
- Best Friends Animal Society’s How to Find Homes for Homeless Pets, offers guidance for rehoming a pet or finding a home for a homeless pet.
- You can also contact our PASS team to get assistance with rehoming.
Lost and Found Pets
- Lose or find a pet? Missing Pet Partnership is the expert in finding lost pets. In addition to a vast collection of recovery advice, they also have tips for what to do when you’ve found a stray.
- Austin has a certified Missing Pet Partnership specialist trained to find lost cats for a fee.
- We recommend checking your shelter every day. Austin Animal Center displays all of the found pets at their shelter online.
- We also recommend posting and checking on both the Lost and Found and Pets sections of Craiglist.
Low-cost veterinary care
- Animal Trustees of Austin offers low-cost veterinary care and other services.
- Emancipet offers low-cost spay/neuter, vaccinations, and other services.
Other Austin rescue groups
Austin Rescue has links to all of the rescue groups in Austin, including breed-specific groups.