About the clinic
Established under the direction of our Executive Director, local veterinarian Dr. Ellen Jefferson, the medical clinic was created and continues to exist for the sole purpose of helping animals in need that have nowhere else to turn.
The medical staff at Austin Pets Alive! has revolutionized the management of shelter care by using careful budgeting, accepting animals as if we are an open intake shelter, and agreeing to save them all rather than fall back on euthanasia (except in extreme cases).
Our goal is to ensure each animal receives the medical care, kindness, and solicitude that we would give our own pets. We achieve this goal by providing:
- Routine medical care: pets who enter our program are immediately examined in our medical clinic. They are tested and treated for any medical issues, given any needed vaccinations and prevention medicines (flea prevention, heartworm prevention, etc) and micro-chipped. Animals continue to receive routine medical care from the clinic as long as they stay at APA!.
- Illness/Injury/Emergency Care: Around 85% of animals saved from the surrounding city shelters arrive with mild to severe illnesses or injuries. The city of Austin calls on APA! to save over 95% of the seriously ill or injured pets that they receive from the public. Because of this, the medical clinic at Austin Pets Alive! functions as an emergency clinic for these animals in addition to a wellness and surgical clinic.
- Surgery: APA! follows the guidelines for High Volume/High Quality spay/neuter and performs up to 165 spays/and neuters a week in addition to other surgeries such as mass removals, eye repairs, dental care, and wound/laceration repairs.
- Pulled more than 6,000 animals from euthanasia lists in 2013
- Found homes for more than 150 “medical cases,” providing ongoing treatment for each
- Consistently operates as a routine care clinic while still being able to treat emergency cases
- Complete more than 36,000 animal exams each year
- Spays/neuters more than 3,000 animals each year
Visit us on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/APAMedClinic