Thank you for considering adopting a rescue cat! Here are the steps you’ll need to take to adopt a cat from APA!
Step one: Find the right cat
Step two: Adopt a cat
- You must meet with an adoption counselor and fill out an application in person.
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You must show a picture ID with your current address. If this isn’t available, we will accept a picture ID with a current utility bill.
- All adult residents must meet the pet to ensure the cat is a match for the whole family.
- You must live in the Austin area. (We may adopt to surrounding Texas cities/counties if the cat is altered, FeLV negative, and not in need of ongoing behavior training.)
Our cat adoption fee varies by cat, but the general breakdown is:
- Cats under 1 year old: $130
- Cats over 1 year old, but under 7 years old: $75
- Cats 7 years and older: $0
This fee includes:
- spay or neuter surgery
- FeLV/FIV testing
- first or more vaccinations
- first or more deworming treatment
- personality evaluation
- one month of pet insurance
Accepted forms of payment include cash, card or money order payable to Austin Pets Alive! We’re sorry; we do not accept personal checks.
Step three: Follow the post-adoption instructions
- Activate your free 30 day pet insurance by calling 1-877-707-7297. Click here for more details about insurance from ShelterCare. Note that the insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions and begins 48 hours after adoption.
- Take your new cat to the vet within 14 days.
- Fax or mail a copy of proof of vet visit within 14 days of adoption.
P.O. Box 6247
Austin, TX 78762 (Mailing address)
Congratulations on the new addition to your family!