Thank you for considering adopting a rescue cat! Here are the steps you’ll need to take to adopt a cat from APA!
Step one: Find the right cat
Step two: Adopt a cat
Once you’ve found the right cat for you, you’re ready to adopt.
- You must fill out an application and meet with an adoption counselor.
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You must show a picture ID with your current address. If this isn’t available, we will accept a picture ID with a current utility bill.
Our cat adoption fee varies by cat, but the general breakdown is:
- Cats under 2 years old: $125
- Cats 2 years old, but under 10 years old: $75
- Cats 10 years and older: $25
This fee includes:
- spay or neuter surgery
- FeLV/FIV testing
- first or more vaccinations
- first or more deworming treatment
- personality evaluation
- one month of pet insurance.
Accepted forms of payment include cash or money order payable to Austin Pets Alive! We’re sorry; we do not accept personal checks.
Step three: Follow the post-adoption instructions
Congratulations on finding your new family member! Don’t forget to complete the post-adoption instructions:
- Activate your free 30 day pet insurance by calling 1-877-707-7297. Click here for more details about insurance from ShelterCare. Note that the insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions and begins 48 hours after adoption.
- Take your new cat to the vet within 7 days.
- Fax or mail a copy of proof of vet visit within 14 days of adoption.
P.O Box 6247
Austin, TX 78762 (Mailing address)