Thank you for considering adopting a rescue dog! Here are the steps you’ll need to take to adopt a dog from APA!
Step one: Find the right dog
We want to help you find the perfect dog for you. We will encourage you to spend a lot of time with your potential new pet and actually require that you spend at least 30 minutes with a pet before filling out an application.
Step two: Adopt a dog
Once you’ve found the right dog for you, you’re ready to adopt. In total, this process will take about an hour.
- You must spend at least 30 minutes with the dog you want to adopt.
- You must fill out our application and meet with an adoption counselor.
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You must show a picture ID with your current address. If this isn’t available, we will accept a picture ID with a current utility bill.
- You must show proof of landlord approval or home ownership if you are considering a dog or puppy that might have visual characteristics of a pit bull terrier (even if they are subtle).
- An APA!-conducted “meet and greet” with current household dogs is generally required for all adult dogs.
Our adoption fee varies per dog, depending upon age, breed, and medical/behavioral conditions. The price is listed on each dog’s record. This fee includes:
- spay or neuter surgery
- heartworm test on dogs over 6 months
- first or more vaccinations
- first or more deworming treatment
- personality evaluation
- one month of pet health insurance
- Note: sometimes adoption fees will be higher if a puppy/dog had a lot of medical costs.
Accepted forms of payment include cash or money order payable to Austin Pets Alive! We’re sorry; we do not accept personal checks.
Step three: Follow the post-adoption instructions
Congratulations on finding your new family member! Don’t forget to complete the post-adoption instructions:
- Activate your free 30 day pet health insurance by calling 1-877-707-7297. Click here for more details about insurance from ShelterCare. Note that the insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions and begins 48 hours after adoption.
- Ensure that your dog’s microchip has been updated with your correct information by calling 24 Hr PetWatch at 1-866-597-2424.
- Take your new dog to the vet within 7 days and fax or mail a copy of proof of vet visit within 14 days of adoption
- 1-866-760-9101 (Fax)
- We will contact you on day 7, day 30 and day 90 after adoption to ensure your newly adopted pet is working out in your new home. Please respond to our inquiries within 24 hours. Our agreement with Town Lake Animal Center to pull pets requires this step.
P.O Box 6247
Austin, TX 78762 (Mailing address)