Thank you for considering adopting a rescue dog! Here are the steps you’ll need to take to adopt a dog from APA!
Step one: Find the right dog
We want to help you find the perfect dog for you. We will encourage you to spend a lot of time with your potential new pet and actually require that you spend at least 30 minutes with a pet before filling out an application.
Step two: Adopt a dog
Once you’ve found the right dog for you, you’re ready to adopt. In total, this process will take about an hour.
- You must spend at least 30 minutes with the dog you want to adopt.
- You must fill out our application and meet with an adoption counselor.
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You must show a picture ID with your current address. If this isn’t available, we will accept a picture ID with a current utility bill.
- You must show proof of landlord approval or home ownership if you are considering a dog or puppy that might have visual characteristics of a pit bull terrier (even if they are subtle).
- An APA!-conducted “meet and greet” with current household dogs is generally required for all adult dogs.
Our adoption fee varies per dog, depending upon age, breed, and medical/behavioral conditions. The price is listed on each dog’s record. This fee includes:
- spay or neuter surgery
- heartworm test on dogs over 6 months
- first or more vaccinations
- first or more deworming treatment
- personality evaluation
- one month of pet health insurance
- Note: sometimes adoption fees will be higher if a puppy/dog had a lot of medical costs.
Accepted forms of payment include cash, credit/debit card, or money order payable to Austin Pets Alive! We’re sorry; we do not accept personal checks (except for surgery deposits).
Step three: Follow the post-adoption instructions
Congratulations on finding your new family member! Don’t forget to complete the post-adoption instructions:
- Activate your free 30 day pet health insurance by calling 1-877-707-7297. Click here for more details about insurance from 24Petwatch. Note that the insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions and begins 48 hours after adoption.
- Ensure that your dog’s microchip has been updated with your correct information by going online to Home Again or 24Petwatch.
- Take your new dog to the vet within 14 days and fax or mail a copy of proof of vet visit within 21 days of adoption
- 1-866-760-9101 (Fax)
- P.O Box 6247
- Austin, TX 78762 (Mailing address)
- We will contact you within 90 days after adoption to ensure your newly adopted pet is working out in your new home. Please respond to our inquiries within 24 hours.