About the parvo puppy ICU
The first of its kind in the nation, Austin Pets Alive!’s Parvo Puppy ICU provides shelters an alternative to euthanasia for puppies that contract parvovirus.
By placing puppies that contract parvo in quarantine, maintaining cross-contamination protocol and providing consistent care and treatment to puppies that have contracted parvovirus, this ICU saves a highly adoptable segment of the euthanasia list: puppies!
- The Parvo Puppy ICU saves around 500 puppies yearly
- The ICU has rescued more than 3,000 puppies from death at other shelters
- The protocols instituted at the ICU allow treating parvo at 1/10th the cost of a private vet clinic
- The average cost for treating each case of parvo is around $200
- The ICU is now becoming a center for research into parvo treatment that will someday transform veterinary medicine and lead to thousands more puppies saved across the country
What is parvovirus? Find out now.
For updates on the ICU and for more photos, like APA! Parvo Puppy ICU on Facebook!