Buttercup update

by austinpetsalive • Posted in: Special Needs Pets

Wow, what a couple of days for our Buttercup! She went to see Dr. Vasanjee at the Heart of Texas Veterinary Specialty Center for x-rays and get ready for surgery for her herniated disc. She was very uncomfortable during the xrays, which was actually good news because it means that she doesn’t have nerve damage.

As she was waiting for surgery and spending more time on anti-inflammatories, she started getting a little spunkier. She is continent (yay!) and to the amazement of everyone, started trying to put weight on her back legs.

Dr. Vasanjee and Dr. Hennig are closely watching her and think there’s a 50% chance that she won’t need surgery. We are going to keep her calm for a week and see how she is doing next week.

Buttercup’s personality has won her a lot of fans over the last couple of days.  She is a people-pleaser, loves kids, loves strangers, loves other dogs…is just an all-round great girl.  Thank you to our community for helping us save her!

We’ve already raised almost $1500 for her surgery! If she doesn’t need surgery, we will refund the money to our donors, or if they are agreeable to it, we have LOTS of other dogs in our program right now who need surgery and can use the funds for them:

  • Winnie needs surgery to fix a torn ACL ($1700)
  • Thomas has a bad hip and we believe he’s going to need FHO surgery ($700)
  • We brought in Sweetcheeks yesterday who has two blown ACLs ($2500)

We will post news about her follow-up visit with Dr. Vasanjee next Thursday!

5 Responses to "Buttercup update"

  1. Sarahsays: February 25, 2011 at 12:09 pm

    NEVER refund my donations! If Buttercup doesn’t need surgery, that is great. Please forward my donation to another animal in need! :) I love APA!!!

  2. cathysays: February 25, 2011 at 1:45 pm

    What generous donors APA has…offering up their donations to help the other dogs in need! Thank you – all of you!
    Cathy Bridge
    volunteer @ APA

  3. Robinsays: February 25, 2011 at 7:25 pm

    Keep my money to help all the dogs, cats and other animals!

  4. Ellensays: February 25, 2011 at 10:06 pm

    I can’t tell you how close we were to not pulling her from the shelter due to the extent of her injuries and the cost to repair. I can’t believe how she has proven that dogs can work their own miracles sometimes. I am also so relieved that we have such a support base that rescuing her in the face of huge surgical expense didn’t seem too scary. It pains me to think of her not even getting a chance to show us how strong she is. THANK YOU!

  5. Davesays: March 3, 2011 at 8:24 pm

    In case you haven’t read it on Face Book. Buttercup went to the Dr. today. According to him she has made “fantastic improvement” in the past week. She is off all of her medications but will be on crate rest for the next month. That is the next time the Dr. will see her. We will keep everyone updated on her progress.