As you know we are moving to Town Lake Animal Center! We have worked very hard to get this opportunity and we have a lot more work to do to actually make it a reality. It will not be an easy feat to move from our Manchaca location to TLAC. Factors that make it harder are that we can’t spend life-saving funds to hire movers and contractors and we have only 3 weeks left before we have to be completely out of Manchaca.
So for the next three weeks, WE NEED YOUR HELP!
The biggest project right now is cleaning and painting the TLAC dog kennels before we move in- they are unusable in their current condition. We have 3 sections of kennels to get ready, and the following has to be done:
- general sweeping of leaves and clean up of debris
- power washing!
- tape off the area to prepare for painting (which includes cutting out shapes to cover the windows (kid-friendly project))
- spray gun paint through the rafters
- roll concrete paint in each kennel
- follow up the rolling with brush paint on areas the roller missed
If you can help us this weekend, we will be working from 10am to 5pm both Saturday and Sunday. Please wear closed toe shoes, clothes you don’t mind getting paint on, and bring any extra supplies (power washer, brooms, brushes, roller brushes, painter tape, etc.) that you might have lying around. We have supplies too but can always use more. If you can help, just come on over and walk through the adoption center in Building B, and ask to be directed to the volunteer renovation project.
If the kennel project does not sound like the project for you but you still want to help in this exciting and crazy time, we are also pulling together a team to clean out some of the space at TLAC to prepare for our move-in. The vet building and building C office area needs the random stuff removed from it so it can be mopped, wiped down, and sanitized. If you can bring cleaning supplies or dollies for moving large items we would really appreciate it!
And if you’re looking for me, we also have a few other projects that will need support:
- painting the interior of the new vet building at TLAC. Jordana Estrada will be leading the project all day on 5/14 and 5/16, so please come and support the med clinic. It needs a fresh coat to be clean and healthy for our pets.
- uninstalling the 550lb washer and 750lb dryer from HQ and installing the W/D at TLAC. Michael Estrada will lead this but needs 4 strong people who are comfortable with all tools and safety protocols on the weekend of 5/26.
- creating a FeLV Kitty Room at TLAC. Our Cat Team will need your help later to recreate the kitties HQ home at TLAC! Stay tuned for more Cat Team information.
Thank you, Austinites!