Step one: Find the right cat
Step two: Adopt a cat
- You must meet with an adoption counselor and fill out an application in person. Do NOT complete the online application.
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You must show a picture ID with your current address. If this isn’t available, we will accept a picture ID with a current utility bill.
- All adult residents must meet the pet to ensure the cat is a match for the whole family.
- You must live within 100 miles of Austin. (We may adopt to other areas in exceptional circumstances, and if the cat is altered.)
Our cat adoption fee varies by cat, but the general breakdown is:
- Cats under 1 year old: $130
- Cats over 1-6 years old: $75
- Cats 7 years and older: $0
This fee includes:
- spay or neuter surgery
- FeLV/FIV testing
- first or more vaccinations
- first or more deworming treatment
- personality evaluation
Accepted forms of payment include cash, card, or money order payable to Austin Pets Alive! We’re sorry; we do not accept personal checks.
Step three: Follow the post-adoption instructions
- Take your new cat to the vet within 14 days.
- Fax or mail a copy of proof of vet visit within 14 days of adoption.
P.O. Box 6247
Austin, TX 78762 (Mailing address)
Congratulations on the new addition to your family!